Part of the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.
Watch the Great Blue Herons return to their "rookery" in mid-March when they repair their nests. The herons are visible until early May when the new leaves on the trees block the view. The rest of the summer and into the fall, they can be seen feeding in shallow waters throughout the Dunes Region. View spring wild flowers from late March until early June. Birds can be viewed during the spring and fall migration. Fish and watch fish swim in the Little Calumet River.
Hours: Area opens at sunrise and closes 30 minutes past sunset.
Amenities: No restroom facilities and small parking lot, large enough to back up and turn around buses & RV's.
1. Starting at U.S. 94/80 and Indiana 49, go north 1 mile on Indiana 49.
2. Take the U.S. 20 east ramp (right) and go east on U.S. 20 5 3/10 miles.
3. Turn right (south) on County Road 500 E/Brown Road and go 2 1/2 miles (road ends).
4. Turn left (east) on County Road 1400 N and go 1 mile (road ends).
5. Turn right (south) on County Road 600 E and go about 1/2 miles (cross bridge), turn right into parking area.